Are you interested in purchasing an August smart lock and its Wi-Fi Bridge? If so, how do they work together? This post will provide all the answers you need. Let’s dive in!
Here’s a quick explanation of what August Connect does.
August Connect is a Wi-Fi Bridge that aids the connection of your August smart lock to a Wi-Fi network—for remote access and voice control. It’s required for Bluetooth-based August smart locks, as they can’t connect directly to a Wi-Fi network.
To translate data/signals between different communication protocols, you will need a Wi Fi Bridge.
Once connected, you can lock and unlock your August lock remotely via the app on your phone, view your lock’s status, change access codesFind out more.
Note: You don’t need Wi-Fi Bridge if you have the August Wi-Fi smart lock, as it can connect directly to your smartphone and other Wi-Fi-based smart systems for remote access.
How to set up August Connect (WiFi Bridge)
- Step 1Ensure your smartphone is connected to the Wi-Fi network at home by turning on Wi Fi on your devices.
- Step 2Ensure that your August Smart Lock has been correctly installed and is active.
- Step 3Plug your August Connect in to a power outlet. For best performance, plug it close to your August Smart Lock—within 15 feet.
- Step 4: August Connect will flash green after plugging in, if you don’t see the green flash after some time, press the button on your August Connect and hold it for about five seconds.
- Step 5Open the August App on your phone. Navigate to the side menu (located in the upper left). Next, click “On”. Install a new device Then, select Establish an August Connect.
- Step 6: Choose the August lock to pair with the Wi-Fi Bridge. Next, the system prompts you to choose your home Wi Fi network.
- Step 7: Select your Wi Fi network at home to pair the August Connect with it. The app will check your Bluetooth and Wi-Fi signals; if they’re good, then you’re done with setting up your August Connect. To complete the setup, follow the instructions on the screen.
NotificationAugust Connect is only compatible with 2.4GHz Wi Fi networks. Compatible smartphones include Android and iOS models. The setup could fail if the Wi-Fi or Bluetooth signals are weak. Go here Learn how to troubleshoot low Bluetooth and Wi-Fi signals.
August Connect Settings Not Working with Your iPhone
If the regular method for setting up August Connect on iOS devices fails then it is likely that your iPhone has the most recent iOS version. Here’s how to set up August Connect on your iPhone (with the latest iOS version):
- Step 1: Connect with August Connect Setup Mode—by pressing and holding down the August Button It should take about 5 seconds. After that, a slow flashing green light will indicate that your device is in Setup Mode.
- Step 2To begin the in-app setup, you will need to open the August app from your phone. Next, the app will prompt to select the lock that you wish to pair with.
- Step 3: The app will prompt for you to verify which Wi-Fi network you want. Choose 2.4GHz only.
- Step 4Click here Next to allow the app configure your Wi Fi network.
- Step 5Force Quit your August App while the app hangs while configuring Wi-Fi. Ensure you don’t press cancel or allow it to timeout.
- Step 6Go to Settings on the iPhone (iOS device), then navigate to Wi-Fi. Next, scroll down to where you are. Install a new device. Your August Connect should be already added.
- Step 7: Click on your August Connect and it’ll usher in the setup flow.
So that’s all about setting up your August Connect on iOS devices.
If the setup fails, turn your device on setup mode. Repeat steps 6 and 7.
August Connect Wi-Fi Bridge Alternative
As of now, it appears there’s no alternative to August Connect, as August clearly stated that you need its Wi-Fi Bridge to enable remote access in all August smart locks—except the model that comes equipped with a built-in Wi-Fi.
August Connect can be used to allow remote access and voice control via Alexa and Siri or Google Assistant.
Though August smart lock works with third-party hubs such as Samsung SmartThings and Wink, they don’t function as August Connect—Wi-Fi Bridge.
August Smart Lock can be used without a Wi Fi Bridge
The short answer is yes. To enable remote access and voice control, you only need the Wi-Fi Bridge. Other than that, August smart locks can still be operated via other means—smart keypad, Bluetooth, etc.
Can one August Connect be used with multiple locks?
The best answer is no August Connect can only be used with one August smart lock at the time.
Each August lock must have its own Wi-Fi Bridge.
August Connect can be used with other smart locks
No. August Connect was primarily designed to be used with August smart locks. It’s not compatible with any other smart lock.
August Connect works with all Wi-Fi networks
No. August Connect doesn’t support all types of Wi-Fi networks but 2.4 GHz. To enable remote access, you must ensure that your Wi-Fi network is 2.4 GHz.
How do I reset my August Wi Fi Bridge?
Once your August Connect (WiFi Bridge is plugged in to a power outlet), press and hold the reset button for 5 seconds, then release it. If the device’s factory settings are restored, you can set it back up by following the instructions.
If the green flashes occur faster, it is likely that the reset failed and you will have to start over.
You may also want to read our article about the use of the right batteries on your August Smart Lock.
If you’ve read this far, we thank you for taking the opportunity to read our blog. We hope it was useful.
To recap, August Connect (Wi-Fi Bridge) is a smart device that lets you connect your August Bluetooth lock to a Wi-Fi network—for remote access, voice control, etc.
As you can see, the process requires a compatible smartphone that has the August app installed.
You need to make sure you have the right Wi-Fi network and compatible smartphones in order for seamless integration.