It doesn’t matter if you’re hosting a housewarming party or Thanksgiving Day. How to smoke a Turkey on a Pellet Grill.
You surely don’t want to serve a poorly smoked or undercooked turkey; that’s why this article discusses how to smoke a perfect juicy turkey.
Checklist for Smoking Turkey In Pellet Smoker
You must first make sure that you have the following items available:
Of course, we want you to be extra certain. You can thaw a fresh or frozen turkey. Before cooking, make sure to remove the neck and any giblets.
Frozen turkeys need to be defrosted in the fridge for at least two to three days. Also, be careful not to freeze the turkey on the countertop. This could cause fungal or bacterial growth.
If you prefer brined turkeys, you can let it marinate overnight in the fridge. This adds flavor and moisture to your turkey. For one gallon of water, add half a cup salt and half a cup sugar. Then, immerse the turnkey in water for 12 to 14 hours.
To remove excess salt, rinse the turkey immediately after brining it.
The Camp Chef is one of the best pellet grills There are many options on the market.
Camp Chef: Why? It’s because of its simple operations. You can turn it off, add the wood pellets and set the temperature. Voila!
You should also know that smoking turkeys takes more time than roasting them.
Best Wood Pellets for Briskets
Turkey is undoubtedly a big bird; that’s why you should have enough pellet bags in your bag for long smoking hours. You can also purchase different flavors. You can buy different flavors, such as applewood, cheery, and hickory. the best wood pellets for smoking turkey.
However, there is another alternative to wood pellets, and that is smoking brisket in electric smoker.
Additional Drip Pan
Although Camp Chef Pellet Grill comes with a drip tray, smoked turkey is exceptionally juicy, and you don’t want to create a mess at your cooking counters. You should always keep an extra drip pan handy to catch any moisture dripping from the big bird while it’s being smoked.
What is the secret to a perfectly smoked turkey? It’s consistent cooking temperature and even heating. That’s why it’s essential to have a reliable smoker thermometer You can also use it to monitor the temperature.
Of course. Seasoning your turkey perfectly will enhance its flavor. You only need to use a few ingredients that are already in your pantry.
- One and a quarter tablespoon minced garlic
- One cup sugar
- Half a cup Worcestershire sauce
- Two tablespoons canola oil
Mix all the ingredients except for the canola oil until the sugar dissolves.
How to Cook Turkey
You should preheat the Camp Chef pellet grill at a temperature of 225F degrees for approximately 15 minutes with the lid closed while coating the turkey’s outer skin with the seasoning.
Next, evenly coat the canola on the turkey’s outer skin. This will include the legs, breast, and wings. Depending on your preference, you can also use melted Butter.
Sprinkle dried herbs on top to give the turkey a rich color and flavor.
It’s important to learn the technique of placing the turkey on the pellet grill. Place the turkey breast-side up on the indirect heat side.
Why indirect side? Because you are smoking it, and not grilling. That’s why you don’t require a roasting pan either.
How long does it take to cook a turkey on a Pellet Grill?
It’s the most crucial question. We have compiled a list of steps that will make you an expert at smoking turkey.
- Let the turkey smoke on a Camp Chef pellet grill for 2 1/2 hours to 3 hours.
- Then, increase the temperature to 300F degrees from 225F degrees.
- Next, cook at the set temperature for three and a half to four hours, depending upon the turkey’s size.
- Another way to measure the cooking times is to use a probe thermometer to check the internal temperature at the thickest portion of the breast. The turkey can be safely stopped smoking once it reaches 165F-270F degrees.
- Finally, take the turkey off the grill and let it rest for 30 minutes before you serve.
Other useful tips for smoking a turkey
- You must heat the Camp Chef pellet grill for 30 seconds per pound of turkey if you choose 225F degrees as the preheating temperature. For a 15-pound turkey you need a cooking time of 450 or seven and a quarter hours.
- You can cook your turkey for 25 minutes at 250F.
- After the turkey has reached an internal temperature of 125F degrees you can spray it with a mixture made up of apple cider vinegar, apple juice and water for about 30 minutes. This helps to retain the turkey’s moisture while smoking.
- It’s up to you to cover the turkey while smoking.
You require a lot of patience to smoke a turkey on the pellet grill; however, it’s such a rewarding task once you taste the delicious and juicy turkey.
This article will help you to calculate the cooking time by listing down the smoking procedure. As a rule of thumb, you should allow for 30 minutes to cook each pound of turkey.
This guide will cover all the basics: ingredients, brining and seasoning, as well as how to smoke on the Camp Chef pellet grill.
Enjoy smoking your turkey!