As the title says, this post essentially answers the question: ‘where is the program button on Kwikset electronic/smart locks?’
If that sounds like what you’re looking for, then you want to continue reading.
The program button for most Kwikset smart locks is located on the inside of your interior assembly. To access the program button, you may have to remove the interior cover. Check out the image below.
If you’re looking to program your Kwikset smart lock, the next few paragraphs contain information on how to create and delete user codesChange Master Code, and many other things
How to add/create user codes for the Kwikset Smartlock
You can add user codes to Kwikset SmartCode models, as well as a few other models, with the Master Code either enabled or disabled. Let’s start with—adding a user code with the Master Code enabled.
- Step 1Ensure that your door is always open to prevent being locked out.
- Step 2: Use the Press the Program Once you have clicked the button, press the “Apply” button. This should activate the Check Mark Flash five times with five beeps
- Step 3Enter your Master Code, and then press the Lock symbol/button once. Step 4: Enter your new code (4-8 digits) and press the Lock symbol.
If you have any questions, please contact us. Check Mark illuminates and you’ll hear a beep. It means that the new code has been successfully added. You can test the code to verify that it unlocks the lock.
Notification: Three “X” pattern flashes and three beeps indicate the code isn’t added. Repeat the process and ensure you enter only 4–8-digits user code, and it must not be the same as an existing user code.
Also, ensure that your Master Code is correct and that you have enough space to add more codes. Otherwise, you will need to delete a code first before adding a new one.
When the Master Code is disabled, you can add a User Code
- Use the Check Mark Once only, place the symbol on your lock. Before programming codes can be entered, ensure that the door is unlocked.
- Enter your new code (4-8 digits) and then press the Lock symbol.
- If you are successful, the Check Mark The symbol will beep when it illuminates. To verify that the code works, make sure you test it.
Kwikset Lock: Single/All User Codes Cancelled
Removing a single user code:
- Step 1: Press the Program
- Step 2: Press the Check Mark symbol.
- Step 3 Use the Lock Enter your Master Code by clicking on the symbol.
- Step 4: Press the Lock symbol again and enter the user code you want to delete.
- Step 5: Press the Lock symbol and re-enter the user code you want to delete.
- Step 6: Press the Lock symbol to complete the process.
If the Check Mark flashes—along with a beep, then the code is successfully deleted. Test the code to see if it can still unlock the lock.
Note: The above method works for Kwikset SmartCode locks with Master Code enabled. If your lock’s master code is disabled, skip the step that requires you to enter a Master Code. That is, after steps 1 and 2, skip step 3 and continue from step 4.
Deleting All User Codes:
- Step 1: Press the Program button.
- Step 2: Press the Check Mark symbol and then press the Lock button.
- Step 3: Enter your Master Code and press the Lock symbol. Next, press “9” six times.
- Step 4: Press the Lock symbol and press “9” again—six times.
- Step 5: Press the Lock symbol to complete the process.
This should delete all of your existing user codes.
To confirm if all user codes are deleted, leave your door open and unlocked, then press the Lock symbol. Did the latch extend to lock? If not, then all user codes have been deleted.
How to Enable or Delete the Master Code on a Kwikset Lock
- Step 1: Use the Program button and hold it until the keypad flashes green.
- Step 2: Enter your new Master Code and press the Lock button once.
- Step 3: Re-enter the Master Code and press the Lock button. The keypad will flash red and beep three times, indicating the Master Code is successfully enabled.
So that’s all about enabling Master Code on a Kwikset lock.
Disabling/Deleting Master Code
- Step 1: Press and hold the Program button for about 5 seconds—until it flashes green.
- Step 2: Press the Lock button and enter the Master Code.
- Step 3: Press the Lock button and re-enter the Master Code.
- Step 4: Press the Lock button again to complete the process.
That should delete/disable the Master Code on a Kwikset lock. Ensure the Master Code is enabled before you attempt to disable it.
NotificationProgramming methods for Kwikset SmartCode locks are mostly compatible with the ones listed above. Refer to your lock’s user manual if you’re unable to program it with any of the methods.
You may also want to read our article on how you can factory reset a smart lock.
What’s More About Kwikset Smart Locks?
Kwikset makes some of the best smart locks available, with features such as:
Depending on your Kwikset lock model, you can connect it to your smartphone via a hub or directly—for remote access. You can lock and unlock your door using the Kwikset mobile app. You can also create and delete access codes.
Yes, Kwikset has an app that is compatible with both iOS and Android devices. It can be downloaded to your compatible device and connected to your lock. You will then have remote access to your door locks.
Kwikset smart locking devices are equipped with the same features as cylinder locks. SmartKey Security.
SmartKey Security protects you against, as you might know. lock pickingUsing bumping or other forced entry techniques.
Compatible with Home Automation and Security Systems
Kwikset smart locks work with the most popular smart home automation systems like Samsung SmartThings and Apple Homekit. Ring Alarm security.
However, not all models are compatible with other smart devices. You should verify this before you buy one.
So that’s it! We hope you found this article helpful. You can find the program button on your Kwikset lock and use it to program your lock.
Of course, we added some tips on how to program a Kwikset smart lock—perhaps you could find them useful too.
Also, keep in mind that these Kwikset locks are different models. The program button may not be in the exact same place, but it is located anywhere on/inside of the interior assembly. You should take some time to find it—removing the interior cover and/or checking both sides of your lock’s interior assembly.