Screen prints, especially when they are neat and clean, add to the elegance of a shirt. You can print a logo, letters or any other design you like.
These prints can look old and unattractive, or they might have been printed incorrectly. In these cases, you should remove the screen print from the shirt and salvage it.
There are many ideas that screen prints cannot remove. This may not be true. Although permanent prints can be made, there are several methods and techniques you can use to remove them from your shirt.
These are the issues we will be discussing and other tips that will help you to remove them easily. Let’s get to the point.
Screen Print Removal Techniques
There are several methods that can be used to remove screen print from a shirt. These methods require different materials and supplies that you can find at home. They are generally safe and easy to do.
You can also use chemicals to remove prints from a shirt. They can be very harsh so you will need to wear protective clothing such as gloves and a mask.
Here are some examples:
1. Nail Polish Remover
The ability to remove stains from shirts with nail polish remover has been demonstrated. It contains an acetone compound that removes screen prints. This method is not recommended for everyone.
Here’s how it can be done:
Step 1Wash the shirt in cold water. This is important for new prints as it will wash out any ink and prevent it from solidifying further. Hot water can make the ink stick to the shirt better.
Step 2: Dry the shirt Use a dryer at high heat. This will cause some ink to loosen. Peel it off with your hands.
Step 3Apply enough nail polish remover to a cotton ball. Gently rub the ink with a little force. Rubbing can cause the cloth mutilate. You can remove the ink by removing the fabric with your fingernails.
Step 4: Rewash the shirt, this time following the manufacturer’s instructions. It can be dried on high heat with a dryer. Then, remove any ink or print residue from the shirt.
Voila! Voila! You now have a shirt that is completely print-free. If there is any print left on your shirt, you can repeat Step 3 until it is completely gone. We do a deep dive into t-shirt printing procedure into in our article on how to print on transfer paper for a t-shirt.
2. Plastisol removal method
Use gloves and masks to protect your face and work in an area that is well-ventilated. Here is a step-by–step guide to how to use plastisol to remove screen prints. This method can also be used with rubbing alcohol.
Step 1Apply the remover to the print area on the shirt. Leave it for 30 minutes. If the print is small, you can apply the remover directly to the shirt. soft clothThen, use the material to repeatedly dab it.
Step 2Using a soft brush, gently rub the print with gentle strokes.
Step 3: Use a soft cloth to remove the plastisol. After that, wash it in cold water. Use a gentle detergent or follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
Step 4Dry the cloth by drying it with a fan or using a dryer. By then, most of the screenprint would have been removed. The rest can be removed with your fingernails.
If the print is still not completely removed, you can repeat the process. Be aware that repeated use of this remover can cause damage to the cloth.
Check out our related article On the Best Shirts for Sublimation Printing. You can see which materials work well and which should be avoided.
3. Spot Removal Gun Method
There are many different types of spot treatment guns. These guns are available in different brands from different manufacturers. They are simple to use and require no complicated operation. Here’s how to use them.
Step 1: Spray the gun with a spot remover, i.e., a spray out liquid.
Step 2Spray the liquid onto the print. Spraying on the shirt can cause a stain.
Step 3Use a soft rag with water to clean it. You must ensure that there is no chemical residue left on the shirt. To ensure that the spot remover is gone, you can wash the shirt right away.
Step 4Dry the shirt in a well ventilated area.
4. Plastic bag with an Iron Method
All the required equipment can be found at home. It is also a cost-effective, easy way to remove any screen-prints from a shirt. You don’t need a steamer iron for this method. You will also need waxed papers or a paper bag.
Here’s how you can do that:
Step 1: Wash the shirt in cold water and dry it as you did the previous methods.
Step 2Place a dry shirt on a flat surface such as an ironing board. Place a paper bag on top of the shirt. The bag’s glossy side should be directly on the shirt.
Step 3Iron the paper bag with medium heat. The iron’s heat will transfer the print from your shirt to the paper bag. You can use your fingernails to remove the rest or a plastic knife to scrape it off. Continue this process until you are satisfied with the screen print.
Here are some things to consider when removing screen print from a shirt
There are safety precautions you should take when removing screen prints from a shirt. These safety measures will ensure you are safe and that your work goes smoothly. They include:
- Use harsh chemicals like spot removers in a well-ventilated area.
- Make sure to follow the manufacturers’ instructions when using store-bought goods.
- When working with chemical-based products, make sure you use protective clothing such as gloves and masks. This will stop the chemical-based products from reaching your skin.
- Always ensure that your hands are clean and dry when using electrical appliances. Remember to unplug any plugs from the sockets, and turn off all switches.
- Children and pets should be kept away from items such as acetone or spot removers.
Also, be aware of: Difference between screen print and heat press printing
General Tips for Removing Screenprint from a Shirt
These are some tips that will help you remove screenprints faster and more easily. These should be used to enhance the existing methods and improve the overall process.
- Always remember not to wash the cloth in hot water. This is because it can cause the printed material to solidify. Unless it is clearly stated (which is rare) make sure you don’t use hot water.
- Before you start any type of treatment, always make sure your shirt is completely dry.
- Remember to not steam iron when using heat. Do not press the cloth directly. It is counterproductive because it causes the print to harden and become permanent.
- The print can be removed by washing the shirt several times. Hand-washing is better because it allows you to concentrate on the print. The colors can fade if the shirt is washed too often.
- It is important to compare the price of different items when you are looking to purchase a shirt. We recommend buying a new shirt if it is less expensive. However, if the shirt holds sentimental value, we recommend that you print it off.
- After you have tried all the methods, you can take your shirt to professionals to get rid of the ink. Although it might not be inexpensive, it will certainly remove that screen print.
- You should ensure that you work in well-ventilated areas when using chemicals.
- If you have tried everything, but none of them work, then replace the shirt.
Check out our related article On How to Remove HTV From a Shirt. It’s all possible to make mistakes! Learn how to remove heat-transfer vinyl from shirts easily.
Now you know how to remove screen prints from shirts. We’ve made it our mission to share these easy steps so you can remove the print yourself.
It is possible to persevere and it will not be difficult. It is important to follow the steps exactly. You should also consider the safety measures and tips for maximum benefit.
You may also like this article: