Whether you’re out camping or need to light your cigarettes, a lighter comes in very handy. But if you buy tons of disposable lighters, you’re doing your part in polluting our already suffocated waters. You will always need to refill.
We will be discussing safe refilling a bic lighter in this article. Some say it couldn’t be done. We believe it is possible! Here is how it should be done. We will also talk about the things you need to know if you own a Bic lighter.
What are Bic Lighters Made Of?
BIC lighters reservoir is made from Delrin. With its thin structure, Delrin has more gas space than regular lighters. This resin is high-quality and can withstand impact, despite being thinner. In case it does fall, it will not break like other lighters.
What Fluid Can Bic Lighters Use
What’s inside a bic lighter, you ask?
Butane is used in the manufacture of Bic lighters. Butane is a liquified oil gas that is pressurized. It’s a colorless and odorless gas. Since it’s highly flammable, there were questions raised if butane is safe to use.
It’s a different type of fuel used by lighters such as Zippo. Zippo lighters use heavy naphtha, which is similar to kerosene and the fuel used for jet engine engines. Since it’s not pressurized like butane, it’s less flammable.
Albeit butane being more flammable, it’s still considered one of the safest fuels to store for use indoors and outdoors. You must follow certain safety guidelines to safely store and use butane.
How to Safely Use And Store Butane
Alternatingly, all types gas fuels can pose a danger to your health if they are not stored and used properly. That’s why extra caution should be practiced when refilling your lighters, whatever brand it is, and whatever type of fuel they use.
These are the steps that you can follow to ensure safety when using butane indoors and outdoors.
How does a Bic lighter work?
Before refilling a bic lighter with butane, it’s important to get to know the mechanism of the lighter first. Most likely, you already know how it works. It is important to get to know the parts and how they work.
The spark wheel can be described as the serrated metal wheel. This is the one you use to light the lighter.
It is important to note that the wheel will strike a bit of lint when it is rolled down. This creates a spark that ignites the fuel. This will create a flame.
Buttons for ignition
The ignition button will allow you to release the gas from your valve. The ignition button will be pressed when you flick the spark knob with your thumb. Once the flame appears, you must hold the ignition button down until it comes out. The ignition button is also known as the fork.
The ignition material is provided by the flint. It is controlled by a flint spring.
These springs control how the valve holds the gas.
The valve regulates fuel flow.
How to refill a Bic lighter at home
BIC lighters, which are basically disposable items, can be used to lighten your lighters. It is best to throw it out when it runs out of fuel. It is refillable, but many people may not be aware of this fact. You can also refill it at home.
Here are some simple steps to get started.
- A flat screwdriver and a butter knife
- Use a paper clip, wire or a tack.
- The empty BIC lighter
- Lighter fluid
- Extra flint
2. First, make sure your BIC lighter is empty. If your layer still has fuel, don’t refill it. You can test it by turning the spark wheel multiple times. If it does not light anymore, it’s out of fuel.
3. You can also check if the lighter has run out of gas by placing a light source over it.
4. You can remove the metal from the sides by prying open the metal. You can use the butter knit, or a flat wrench. The hood shield should be easy to remove.
5. Look for the guard. Point the lighter away so it doesn’t hit your face. You can also use a butter knife, flat screwdriver, or a flat screwdriver to open the guard.
6. Now it’s time to remove the spark wheel. Extra caution should be practiced because you don’t want the parts to be damaged. It’s easy to find the spark wheel. It’s the wheel that you flick to generate a flame.
7. Take out the flint, and the spring.
8. Look for the flame adjustmenter and turn it counter-clockwise ten more times.
9. Press a wire or paper clip under the fork. Place the fork under it. This is where the gas is released.
10. Grab your butane fuel. Attach the nozzle face of the lighter fluid onto the fork. It will refill your Bic lighter by pressing it.
11. Once you have refueled, close off the valve by pulling the wire from the fork.
12. Turn the flame adjuster counterclockwise ten times.
13. You can put the spring in the flant back on. Though you may need to replace the flint since it’s bound to wear and tear. The flint is what gives the lighter its spark. The flint also needs to be replaced when the lighter runs out.
14. Reassemble the spark wheel. You can also put on the child safety guard.
15. Attach the metal hood back.
16. Check To test it, turn the spark wheel.
What to do if your body has been exposed to butane gases?
Accidents are bound to happen, regardless of how careful you are. Here are some things to do in case of an accident.
These situations can be serious but are unlikely to occur if you use butane with caution.
What to do with an empty Bic lighter?
If your BIC lighters are not able to be refueled, you must dispose them properly.
Before disposing of your BIC lighters, make sure they are empty. Do not throw lighters containing liquid fuel in the garbage, it is a fire hazard
If there is any fuel left in the BIC lighter, you can dispose of it and take it to a hazardous waste collection location.
Can they be recycled They can be recycled. Lighters can be difficult to disassemble and recycle because they contain metal and plastic parts.
How long does a Bic lighter last?
If used continuously, full-size BIC lighters can burn for up to an hour. Though it’s not really standard practice to burn a lighter continuously. If you do, the top will start to deform within twenty minutes.
On the other hand, smaller BIC lighters can light continuously for approximately twenty minutes.
You might also like: Best Wood Burning Backpacking Stoves
Is it safe to recharge a Bic lighter
The brand does not recommend that you recycle or refuel your Bic lighters. But when done properly and you know how to easily disassemble the parts, it’s still safe. You should be aware that parts of lighters can easily become bent or damaged by prying them off.
It is possible to refill your Bic lighter with the top. But extra caution should be observed, especially when you’re handling any fuel gas. If you’re not confident with your fuel, it’s best to not refuel it. Refilling a bic lighter costs less than buying a brand new one. That’s why a lot of people resort to refueling their BIC lighter instead. And you don’t want to add up to the plastic waste.
We also included safety tips on how to properly handle lighter fluid. It is a flammable liquid so be careful when refilling your BIC lighter.